The Brookings Public Library seeks proposals for the operation of a coffee shop within the Library, located at 515 Third Street.
Background and purpose:The Library has housed a coffee shop on the second floor of the building for the past five years and seeks a new service provider. City zoning ordinances define a coffee house as an establishment that primarily sells coffee and other similar refreshments and may include the sale of coffee beans, pre-baked pastries, bagels, cookies, cold and hot sandwiches and soup. This use would not have waiter/waitress table service, serve full meals or have kitchen facilities that could prepare full meals.
General Specifications:• The coffee shop shall be open during all hours agreed upon by the Brookings Public Library Board and the lessee.
• The lessee will provide the food and beverage concessions as an Independent Contractor. Personnel supplied by lessee shall be lessee’s employees and lessee assumes full responsibility for their actions and for the professional presentation of its staff.• The lessee shall comply with all applicable government regulations related to the employment, compensation, and payment of said personnel. The lessee agrees to purchase and maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance as required by state and federal law.
• The lessee shall obtain all licenses necessary and required to operate a food and beverage concession. The lessee shall purchase, maintain, and insure all necessary equipment and supplies needed to provide adequate services to patrons.• Lessee shall comply with all rules and regulations of Brookings Public Library and with all federal, state, and municipal rules, regulatory measures and laws of any kind applicable to the operation of a concession.
• The lessee shall at all times during the term of the lease maintain liability insurance with a One Million Dollar ($1,000,000.00) limit per occurrence or equivalent for the leased premises operations and product liability. This insurance shall name the City of Brookings as an additional insured.• The lessee may not assign, lease or sublease the premises, or any part thereof, without the express written permission of the Brookings Public Library.
• A common kitchen will be available for use by both Lessee and community groups. • The lessee will be allowed a sign on the Library glass in the same location and comparable size as the existing “Mango Tree” sign. A sign permit will not be required for the same size sign.
Library supplied furnishings and services:• The Library shall provide approximately 500 square feet of existing space on the second floor of the library for the coffee shop. • The Library provides tables, chairs, and a refrigerator for the use by the service.
• All utilities will be provided by the Library except for land-line phone services. • Janitorial service will be provided by the Library for the patron seating area. The coffee shop work area and kitchen is the lessee’s responsibility.
Requested information for proposal:• Past experience in operating a coffee shop or other food service.• Business plan which includes proposed products served, marketing strategies, and financial projections.
Timeline:Proposals are due to the Brookings Public Library by September 30, 2014 and will be evaluated shortly after.