The Brookings Human Rights Commission will sponsor the Third Annual Brookings Juneteenth Celebration on June 19th, 2022 at Hillcrest Park in Brookings from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The annual event commemorates the important U.S. milestone of the emancipation of enslaved Black people from slavery, which occurred on June 19, 1865.
All community members— inclusive of race, ethnicity, and all other identities— are welcome at Brookings Juneteenth Celebration. There is no cost to attend or event registration required. The event itinerary includes:
- Keynote address by Kas Williams, Associate Vice President of Institutional Diversity at Misericordia University
- Reading and book signing by novelist Ukamaka Olisakwe
- Panel discussion on fatherhood and family
- Refreshments including food trucks, food cook-off and other leisure activities
- Youth programming and a youth engagement area offering lots of fun activities
- An Africa Fashion Show by 254 Gift Shop
- African Dance lead by Cecilia Wanjuu
Vendor opportunities are available. For more information, email Juneteenth.email@example.com or contact the Human Resources Department at 605-697-8668.