-COVID-19: Brookings County
UPDATED: October 8, 2021
The South Dakota Department of Health COVID-19 page is updated weekly and has confirmed:
- Total Cases: 5,036
- Recovered Individuals: 4,853
- Active Cases: 145
- Spread Category: High
COVID-19: Brookings Epidemiology Bi-Weekly Video
Video Slides UPDATED: October 14, 2021
Ask An Epidemiologist! Have a suggestion for a topic or a question you would like answered? Email us at email@example.com
COVID-19: Local, Regional, and National Weekly Summary
UPDATED: October 13, 2021
Brookings County (Highest Level of Spread)
- 5,029 total cases: 47 new cases this week (high spread) vs. 63 in the previous week:
- 25% were under 20 years of age (vs. 29% last week)
- 34% were 20-39 years (vs. 41% last week)
- 30% were 40-59 years (vs. 16% last week)
- 11% were 60 years or older (vs. 14% last week)
- Since September 29th, the largest percentage increase in cases has been in the 0-9 year (7% increase, n=17) age group. However, the largest increase in cases has been in the 20-29 year age group (n=22) and the 30-39 year age group (n=20).
- 152 active cases (210 last week)
- Test positivity (PCR) this past week was 4.3% compared to 6.9% last week. Ideally, you want this below 5%, and the lower, the better. A high percentage indicates there are likely many more cases out there – get tested if you have been exposed or have symptoms.
- There were no new hospital admissions among Brookings County residents reported on the dashboard in the past week compared to 5 in the previous week (total = 153). Brookings Hospital currently has 2 COVID hospitalized patients. In Sioux Falls, Avera has 37 COVID-occupied beds (11 ICU) and Sanford has 66 (17 ICU).
- There were no new deaths among Brookings County residents reported on the dashboard this past week compared to 1 death last week (total = 38).
- The percentage of people fully vaccinated did not increase much this past week, with 45% of Brookings County fully vaccinated vs. 45% of South Dakotans (similar percentages as last week).
South Dakota (Highest Level of Spread)
- 149,337 cases: 2,342 new cases this week vs. 2,449 in the previous week:
- 24% were under 20 years of age (vs. 24% last week)
- 30% were 20-39 years (vs. 31% last week)
- 24% were 40-59 years (vs. 23% last week)
- 22% were 60 years or older (vs. 22% last week)
- 6,089 active cases (6,735 last week)
- Test positivity (PCR) this past week was the same as last week - 14.0%. Ideally, you want this below 5%, and the lower, the better.
- 115 people were admitted to in-state hospitals this week vs. 136 last week:
- 3% were less than 20 years of age (vs. 5% last week)
- 17% were 20-39 years (vs. 15% last week)
- 21% were 40-59 years (vs. 21% last week)
- 58% were 60 years of age and older (vs. 59% last week)
- 207 people currently hospitalized vs. 221 hospitalized last week (60 currently in the ICU vs. 66 last week)
- 2,177 deaths: 10 deaths reported this week vs. 34 in the previous week:
- 1 was 20-39 years
- 1 were 40-59 years
- 8 were 60 years of age and older
- 45.43 million cases: 649,967 new cases this week vs. 726,375 in the previous week
- 737,589 total deaths: 12,861 deaths this week vs. 13,506 in the previous week
- 239.4 million cases: 2.88 million cases this week vs. 3.04 million in the previous week
- 4.88 million deaths: 50,171 deaths this week vs. 52,529 in the previous week
COVID-19: Weekly Data
UPDATED: October 13, 2021
Source: Bonny Specker, Ph. D., South Dakota State University, Division of Research and Economic Development
DOWNLOAD WEEKLY DATA PDF HERE >
COVID-19 questions or concerns? Connect with us directly using Engage Brookings. Visit the website (www.EngageBrookings.com) or download the app on your mobile device.
The City of Brookings has compiled safety information and helpful resources to help you navigate these challenging times.