COVID-19: Brookings County
UPDATED: July 15, 2021
The South Dakota Department of Health COVID-19 page is updated weekly and has confirmed:
- Total Cases: 4,241
- Recovered Individuals: 4,202
- Active Cases: 2
- Spread Category: Minimal
COVID-19: Brookings Thresholds
May 24, 2021 - (Not currently being updated)
- Is the epidemic controlled? Yes. Rt was below 1.0 for all of the last 14 days; community spread is currently moderate per DOH definition based on last two weeks of cases.
- Is the health system able to cope with a resurgence of COVID-19 cases that may arise after adapting some measures? Brookings Health System feels they can handle the anticipated numbers (n = 0 to 1).
- Is the public health surveillance system able to detect and manage the cases and their contacts, and identify a resurgence of cases in Brookings?
a. Mitigation Level: Yes, according to state data using tests done, but not unique people tested.
b. Suppression Level: Yes, for state data using tests done (1%) but not unique people tested (11%).
c. Approximate Time to Receive Test Results: 1 to 2 days
d. Percent of Brookings population aged 16 years or older that has received at least one vaccine as of 5/12/21: 40%
DOWNLOAD BROOKINGS THRESHOLDS OUTLINE AND CURRENT DATA PDF HERE >
COVID-19: Brookings Epidemiology Bi-Weekly Video
UPDATED: July 8, 2021
Ask An Epidemiologist! Have a suggestion for a topic or a question you would like answered? Email us at email@example.com
COVID-19: Local, Regional, and National Weekly Summary
UPDATED: July 15, 2021
Beginning this week, the SDDOH is updating the COVID dashboard weekly. SDDOH cleaning of the data should be done soon, and numbers of new hospitalizations will be able to be tracked.
Brookings County (substantial spread is 34+ new cases per week)
- 4,241 cases: 3 new cases this week vs. 3 in previous week (in minimal spread)
- 2 active cases (3 last week)
- Percentage of people vaccinated is holding steady. Among individuals aged 18 to 24 years, Brookings County continues to be below the state percentage (23.6% vs. 34.2%, respectively) although the Brookings has higher vaccination rates in all other age groups compared to the state. Among counties with the top ten most populous cities, Pennington (36%), Lawrence (39%), Beadle (42%), Brookings (43%) and Codington (43%) counties have the lowest overall vaccination rates.
South Dakota (substantial spread is 864+ new cases per week)
- 124,750 cases: 113 new cases this week vs. 105 in previous week (in moderate spread)
- Among counties with the top ten most populous cities:
- Pennington (36%), Lawrence (39%), Beadle (42%), Brookings (43%) and Codington (43%) counties have the lowest overall vaccination rates (percentages receiving at least one vaccine).
- Pennington (29/100K), Lawrence (23/100K), Minnehaha (13/100K) and Brookings (6/100K) have the highest number of cases per 100K population in the last seven days.
- 208 active cases (178 last week)
- 20 people currently hospitalized vs. 27 hospitalized last week (11 currently in the ICU vs. 8 last week)
- 2,040 deaths: 1 death this week vs. 4 in previous week. The one death occurred in an individual aged 60-69 years.
- 34.80 million cases: 185,123 new cases this week vs. 95,197 in previous week
- 623,435 total deaths: 1,874 deaths this week vs. 1,581in previous week
- 188.5 million cases: 3.21 million cases this week vs. 2.79 million in previous week
- 4.06 million deaths: 56,482 deaths this week vs. 55,161 in previous week
COVID-19: Rankings (Top 10 Most Populous South Dakota Counties)
UPDATED: June 23, 2021
Counties with the top ten most populous cities and rankings based on average number of daily cases over the last seven days per 100K population, total cases, and death per 100K population, and percentage of the population with one or more vaccinations (rank of #1 is the best).
Cases/day last 7 days per 100K
last 7 days
% Population with 1+ vaccine
Case and death data from: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/south-dakota-coronavirus-cases.html (6/23/21, 6:30 am CT); percent of population vaccinated calculated from numbers vaccinated on the SDDOH dashboard (6/23/21) and the 2019 Census population data.
^ Rank of 1 is the lowest rate for cases and deaths, while for vaccinations a rank of 1 is the highest rate.
# Counties shaded darker orange have moderate community spread and light orange has minimal spread based on SDDOH dashboard (last two weeks & determined on Mondays). There were no cases over last two weeks in counties that are not shaded.
Summary – Among the counties with the 10 largest cities, Brookings has the:
- lowest number of average daily cases per population size in the last seven days (tied with Beadle)
- 2nd lowest number of cases per population size since the beginning of the pandemic
- lowest number of deaths per population size since the beginning of the pandemic
- 7th highest percentage of county population that has received at least one vaccine
Based on the Department of Health dashboard posted as of June 23rd, Brookings, Brown, Davison, Minnehaha, and Yankton counties had minimal spread and Codington, Hughes, Lawrence, and Pennington counties had moderate spread based on the last two-weeks of data and as defined by the CDC. Beadle County has had no cases in the past two weeks.
COVID-19: Weekly Data
UPDATED: July 15, 2021
Source: Bonny Specker, Ph. D., South Dakota State University, Division of Research and Economic Development
DOWNLOAD WEEKLY DATA PDF HERE >
COVID-19 questions or concerns? Connect with us directly using Engage Brookings. Visit the website (www.EngageBrookings.com) or download the app on your mobile device.
The City of Brookings has compiled safety information and helpful resources to help you navigate these challenging times.