Submit Online Police Report

Brookings Online Police Reporting Logo

Welcome to the City of Brookings online police reporting system. 
If this is an emergency please call or text 911. This online citizen police reporting system allows you to submit an incident report immediately and print a copy of the police report.

Please confirm the following to determine if submitting an online police report is right for you:

  • This is not an emergency - In the case of an emergency please call 911.
  • You are at least 18 years of age.
  • This incident happened within Brookings city limits.
  • There are no known suspects.
  • There is no evidence to be collected from the incident.
  • This did not occur on a state highway.
  • I have a valid email address and a South Dakota driver's license or state ID.
  • For lost or stolen medication please call: (605) 692-2113 to file a report with an officer.

If you answered yes to the questions above, you meet the qualifications to file your report online. Please make sure to turn of your pop-up blocking software before filing your report.  If you answered no to any of the questions please read our Online Citizen Police Report Frequently Asked Questions section.

Upon completion of this report process you will:

  • See the words "Your online police report has been submitted" showing that your police report is complete.
  • Check your email; additional information about this report may be requested.
  • Be given a police temporary report case number. 
  • Be able to print a copy of the report to keep for your records.

Online Report Submission

To submit a report using the Brookings Police Department online reporting system, choose one of the incidents below:

Please Note:

  • All cases/incidents filed using the City of Brookings Online Police Reporting System will be reviewed.
  • Upon review, if further investigation of your case is needed you may be contacted by a member of the Brookings Police Department.
  • To provide additional information related to your previously submitted report, please call (605) 692-2113 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and ask to speak to the assigned detective.
  • Filing a false police report is a crime under S.D.C.L 22-11-9.

Reporting Online or Phone Scams:

  • If you have lost money as part of an online or phone scam please continue to report the incident and theft using this online reporting system. Please also report the incident to the Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) 
  • If you are aware of an online or phone scam and would like to report it to the authorities (Ex. A scammer reached out to you but you did not participated or lose any money due to theft) please visit the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) to file a report. In this instance there is no need to report it to the Brookings Police Department.

Online Citizen Police Report Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What do I do if online incident reporting is not right for me?

A: If your incident is an emergency, please call 911. If it is a non-emergency please call the Brookings Police Department at (605) 692-2113

Q:  What if this happened in another city? Can I file a report using this online police reporting system?

A:  No. If a crime took place outside of the City of Brookings, please call the police department for that city.

Q:  Can I report an incident that happened on an Interstate Highway?

A:  No. If the incident took place on an Interstate Highway please call the Highway Patrol Office nearest you.

Q:  What is a "known suspect?"

A:  A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person, or where to find the person who committed the crime, or the license plate number of the vehicle the suspect(s) were in.