Open Forum Details & Decorum
To ensure continuity of meeting proceedings, the City of Brookings asks all participants to maintain respect and civility for the good of the order. Background noise, clapping and/or comments will create challenges and delay proceedings. Individuals are asked to show respect for all those who attend and speak as well as respect for the process.
- Public comments are an opportunity for the Council to listen.
- Public comments should be directed to the City Council.
- Comments will be limited to 3 minutes per speaker. Time may not be assigned to another speaker.
- Speakers will state their first and last name and city of residence for the record.
- Be concise and avoid duplicated comments.
- When the Mayor closes public comments, Council will have the floor and no further public comment will be taken, unless allowed by the Mayor.
To speak during the Open Forum, one may talk on any item and/or concern not scheduled on the agenda.
If one wants to speak on an item on the agenda, the comment must be given during the public hearing portion of the meeting for that item.
If speaking for a group / organization, share with the Council how the group developed the position represented.
If previous speakers have already made the comments you wish to make, feel free simply to identify yourself and indicate your agreement with what's already been said.
City Council Public Comment Policy