2023 Citizens First Responder Academy
The Brookings Police Department has opened applications for the 2023 Citizens First Responder Academy. For 12 weeks, class attendees will receive information and instruction on the Brookings Police Department, Brookings County Sheriff's Office, University Police Department, Department of Criminal Investigations, Brookings Fire Department, Brookings Highway Patrol, Court Services, Probation, Parole, and Brookings Emergency Medical Services.
What is the purpose of the academy? The mission of the Brookings Citizens First Responders Academy is to educate the citizens of Brookings and gain their acceptance and cooperation through training and building partnerships.
Is this an accredited certification course? No, it is not.
What is the cost to attend? There is no cost. It is free!
How can I apply? Complete both the application (PDF) and ride along form (PDF). Email the completed documents to Officer Travis Asmus or Ronda May. You also may pick up an application at the Brookings Police Department. Enrollment is limited - apply today!
What is the schedule? Sessions take place every Tuesday from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. unless noted otherwise. The two exceptions are Monday, September 25, and Saturday, October 28. The first class will be August 22. The last class will be October 31. See the full schedule below or download the full schedule (PDF).
Date/Time: All sessions will take place Tuesdays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
- August 22: BPD overview. Place: Brookings Police Department Training Room
- August 29: Crime scene/DCI. Place: BPD Training Room
- September 5: Post-arrest/Sheriff's Office. Place: Brookings County Courthouse/Sheriff's Office
- September 12: SROs and workplace violence. Place: Brookings High School
- September 19: Drug/Interdiction/K9 Night. Place: BPD Training Room
- September 25 (Monday): Fire Night. Place: 26th Street South Station
- October 3: Emergency Medical Services. Place: Brookings Ambulance Shed
- October 10: Highway Patrol. Place: BPD Training Room
- October 17: Special Response Team/Drone/CNT. Place: 32nd Street South Training Station
- October 24: University Police Department/Use of Force. Place: SDSU Police Department
- October 28 (Saturday): Live Fire Day. Time: 3:30 to 6:30 PM. Place: BPD Range
- October 31: Graduation. Place: BPD Training Room
We look forward to you participating in the Citizens First Responder experience with us!