The City of Brookings annually holds a spring clean up for the residents. This program allows the residents to place their rubbish, debris and branches in front of their home during a designated time period. This program is for anyone residing within the city limits. Commercial haulers and businesses do not have free access to dumping. The City of Brookings Public Works Department including: Street, Parks, Recreation and Forestry, Solid Waste Collection and Landfill Divisions work together to clean up the material set on the boulevards. The city will canvass the town one time only. All items must be placed at the boulevard. There is no alley pickup. Please make sure everything is on the boulevard to help reduce any damage from the use of heavy equipment.
Spring Cleanup Schedule | Hours
April 4, 2022 is the first day residents can start placing their items on the curb. All items must be out by Sunday, April 10. City crews will start the curbside pick-up on Monday, April 11th. The city will be canvassing the town one time only.
Free Landfill Dumping
From April 4 through April 30, 2022, Brookings city residents may dump for free at the Landfill. Brookings residents are encouraged to take advantage of the free dumping by hauling as much of their smaller items to the Landfill as possible. This will allow city crews to focus on faster removal of the remaining large items. The City asks residents to remember all loads must be covered or a $10.00 fine will be assessed.
The City of Brookings Regional Landfill is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:15 pm and Saturdays from 8:00 am to 11:30 am.
The City of Brookings landfill regulations and recycling policies require more sorting of items placed on the curb. Your cooperation is critical to continue this project. Below is a list of items that will not be picked up from the curb (more info see "regulations"):
- Household refuse, place in green cart
- Cardboard, place in recycling cart
- Mixed piles will not be picked up
- Grass/leaves, haul to the Landfill for free
- Remodeling material/concrete
Items that must be hauled to the Landfill for a fee:
- Tires, fee based on size of tire
- Refrigerators/freezers/dehumidifiers/AC, $12 each plus sales tax
Tree Branch Pick-Up
Please remember that tree trunks and branches should not be more than 12 inches in diameter and 12 feet long. They must be placed lengthwise on the boulevard (same direction as gutter line). The City of Brookings will not enter the residential property to pick them up.
Residents are encouraged to listen to the radio to keep up with what section of town crews are in. Households must follow the guidelines that have been put in place, or their materials will not be picked up.
Spring Cleanup Curbside Pick-Up Schedule
- Section 1: Railroad tracks to 6th Street and from Main Avenue to 16th Avenue
- Section 2: Front Street to 6th Street and from Main Avenue to Western Avenue
- Section 3: 6th Street to 11th Street and from Medary Avenue to Western Avenue
- Section 4: 6th Street to 8th Street east of Medary Avenue
- Section 5: Railroad Tracks to 6th Street from 16th Avenue to 22nd Avenue
- Section 6: South of Railroad Tracks from Medary Avenue South to 22nd Avenue South
- Section 7: Railroad Tracks south to City limits from Medary Avenue South to City limits
NEW This year: Follow the new Spring Cleanup Real-Time Tracker to see block-by-block real-time updates showing which sections have been completed.
Recycling and Separation of Items
The City of Brookings Landfill regulations and recycling policies require sorting of items placed on the curb. Your cooperation is critical to continue this project. Below is a list of sorting requirements and items not accepted:
- Mixed piles cannot and will not be picked up (please separate 1. branches, 2. metal, 3. and other items)
- Household refuse (place in green cart)
- Yard waste, grass and leaves will not be picked up (place in yard waste cart or haul to landfill free)
- No total tree removal
- No cardboard boxes or other recyclable items (put with recycling pickup)
- Animal waste will not be picked up
- Remodeling material will not be picked up
- Concrete will not be picked up
- Tires will not be picked up (haul to landfill for a fee)
- Waste oil, chemicals and hazardous waste will not be picked up
- Items containing Freon (haul to landfill for a fee)
- Paint will not be picked up
- No batteries
- I have left-over/old paint. How should I dispose of it?
Paint should be dried out (do not throw away wet paint) and disposed of with your garbage.
- What is the best way to dry out paint before disposal?
- The paint can be put on cardboard to dry. Once dried dispose of the cardboard.
- Use kitty litter or floor dry
- Use paint hardener (available at local hardware supply stores)
- I would prefer to donate the paint for re-use. Where can I do so?
- New/Full/Unused paint may be donated to The Brookings Habitat Restore
- Ask neighbors, friends, family members etc. if they have a use for the paint.